Reporting overhanging foliage

On this page, we will look at reporting overhanging foliage to your local authority. Under the Highways Act 1980 section 154, local authorities can require landowners to cut back overhanging branches and vegetation if it endangers or obstructs the passage of pedestrians.

(Insert video)

You’re able to report overgrown vegetation to your local authority and your council are usually responsible for this. Typically, they will have a website where you can report issues directly.

If you cannot find it on your council’s website after searching, we suggest you contact your local council directly,

Some councils may use also apps to help you report overgrown vegetation, such as the Fix My Street app.

Download the app

Good practice

See below examples of how some councils manage their reporting overhanging foliage process:

Use our letter template to write to your local council

Stay in the know

Want to get involved in our national campaigns? Stay up to date with news from Sight Loss Councils and Thomas Pocklington Trust by signing up to our mailing list

Join our mailing list

Back to top

Share this page