Countdown to closures
Consultation on rail ticket offices closures extended
Rail operating companies have announced plans to close 974 ticket offices across England. A public consultation has been launched and has been extended until 1 September 2023. Take action now to stop these plans.
Without specific measures to protect independent travel of blind people, these closures will add another barrier to an already inaccessible rail network.
- Existing alternatives, such as ticket machines and many online booking apps are inaccessible to blind and partially sighted people.
- Ticket offices provide a readily accessible and easy point of assistance for blind people. Until an improved alternative is in widespread use, then they must remain.
- Poor station design, failing audio announcements, outdated wayfinding, inaccessible technology, inconsistent tactile navigation and Victorian platforms, already make navigating rail travel a challenge for blind people. Ticket office closures will simply add an extra barrier.
Three things you can do today:
- Write to your MP to raise concerns about the impact of the closures by clicking this link.
- Respond to the consultation using our template letter, which you can download below. You can amend the letter to add your own personal stories and examples.
- Spread the word.
Depending on where you live, and the rail operator(s) you use, you will need to send your letter to different email addresses.
London: London TravelWatch
If you live in London, address your letter of objection to London TravelWatch and CC in the following email addresses (it is up to you which one(s) you use!)
Avanti West Coast: AWC.Consultation@Londontravelwatch.org.uk
Chiltern Rail: Chiltern.Consultation@Londontravelwatch.org.uk
Greater Anglia: GA.Consultation@Londontravelwatch.org.uk
Great Northern/Thameslink: GNTL.Consultation@Londontravelwatch.org.uk
Great Western Railway: GWR.Consultation@Londontravelwatch.org.uk
London Northwestern Railway: LNR.Consultation@Londontravelwatch.org.uk
Southeastern Rail: Southeastern.Consultation@Londontravelwatch.org.uk
Southern Rail: Southern.Consultation@Londontravelwatch.org.uk
SWR (South West Rail): SWR.Consultation@Londontravelwatch.org.uk
England (not including London): Transport Focus
If you live outside of London, address your letter of objection to Transport Focus and CC in the following email addresses (it is up to you which one(s) you use!)
Avanti West Coast: ticketoffice.Avanti@transportfocus.org.uk
Chiltern Rail: ticketoffice.Chiltern@transportfocus.org.uk
East Midlands Railway: ticketoffice.EMR@transportfocus.org.uk
Govia Thameslink Railway: ticketoffice.GTR@transportfocus.org.uk
Greater Anglia: ticketoffice.GA@transportfocus.org.uk
Great Western Railway: ticketoffice.GWR@transportfocus.org.uk
LNER (London North Eastern Rail): ticketoffice.LNER@transportfocus.org.uk
Northern Rail: ticketoffice.Northern@transportfocus.org.uk
Southeastern Rail: ticketoffice.Southeastern@transportfocus.org.uk
SWR (South West Rail): ticketoffice.SWR@transportfocus.org.uk
TransPennine Express: ticketoffice.TPE@transportfocus.org.uk
West Midlands Trains: ticketoffice.WMT@transportfocus.org.uk
If you need assistance to provide your feedback, then you can contact Transport Focus at: 0300 123 2350.
You can find more information about the consultation and who to send your response to on the Transport Focus website: https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/train-station-ticket-office-consultation/
Or the London TravelWatch website: https://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/ticket-offices-have-your-say/
Publication date: 06 July 2023